by Nurhuda Syed Employer engagement and candidate experience are the top recruiter priorities in 2018 for hiring graduates, according to two industry leaders. Talent acquisition software provider WCN and employer branding firm Universum conducted a global study on job applications and responses from business students to provide insights into why attraction and engagement are key to hiring the best future leaders.
Yes, pay, benefits and culture are critical when it comes to attracting and retaining top talent. But an employer’s brand also plays a vital role. Matt Handford, the SVP of People for Hootsuite , the world’s largest social media monitoring platform, explains the key elements of a company’s brand strategy – and how such a strategy can be an invaluable part of attracting and retaining talent.
A recruitment funnel is similar to a sales funnel in that it is the journey of the candidate as they move from no awareness of an organization to becoming both an employee and advocate.
Below is the recruitment funnel in concept:
Below is the recruitment funnel in action:
Employer Branding just got easier! Learn about The Employer Branding Co-Operative, our revolutionary new program helping organizations and budgets big and small amp up their EB game! It’s time to POWER UP!
Check out our articles in ERE – Recruiting Intelligence here.
The number of people involved in approving your employer brand: Is it one? Three? 27? As a general rule, the more minds, opinions, and pseudo-machinations that are applied to assessing and ultimately approving a creative idea, the less unique the final idea
Have you ever wondered how to improve the candidate experience? Make the candidate experience a VIP one and enhance your employer brand! Check out this video!
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Even with technology changing how companies find talent, many companies still rely on traditional recruiting methods. This includes channels and strategies like job boards, recruiting websites, and job recruiters. Numerous job marketplaces that match talent with jobs also have appeared in recent years like Toptal for tech talent.
You have an opportunity to shape your employer brand and connect with the ideal employees that fit your culture and your growth goals.
Demand for technical skills like big data analysis and coding is exploding, driven by rapid advances in AI and the need to make sense of the vast quantities of data generated today. But for job-seekers that lack these heavily technical skills, don’t despair: Jobs that rely on “soft” people skills like communication, empathy, and interpersonal finesse are also witnessing explosive growth, according to new research by LinkedIn.
Welcome to the exciting world of building an employer brand! If you are just beginning on your EB journey, let’s lay a solid foundation and start with the basics.
So what is an employer brand anyways?
An employer brand is the organizational identity related to the employee experience. It is what you are known for as an employer.
“Brand is not what you say it is. It’s what they say it is.” Marty Neumeier
While this quote is absolutely true, an organization continues to have the ability to shape its brand. Brand is built through a variety of tools, stories, and experiences. The practice of employer brand management is the art and science of helping to share an organization’s story and shape its reputation. The first step in employer brand management is getting at the helm. Brand or be branded!
Gone are the days when employer branding was optional. Today, 59% of organizations are investing more in their employer brand (LinkedIn). This is because employer branding is more than a talent attraction tool that helps create a pull strategy. An employer brand can also unite an organization.
So how do you get started in employer branding?
- Understand your business objectives. Where are you going as an organization? What are your critical talent populations? This step is fundamental in creating a brand that will hit the mark and attract the talent that the organization requires now, as well as in the future. The practice of employer branding is a strategic endeavour. Plant the seeds now for the harvest your organization will need in the future.
- Understand your employee value proposition. Who are you as an employer? What are the critical attraction and retention drivers for your talent population? This is discovered through your people. Talk to talent you wish you could clone in order to find the magic in your organization.
- Determine your brand personality, visual identity, market positioning, key messages, etc. A brand matures through the stories we share and the experiences we create. Consistency creates brand trust. Once you determine your visual identity, brand personality, and key messages, it is important to train your ambassadors. There is no point in investing time, money, and energy in brand management only to have a hiring manager erode it through a poor candidate experience or inconsistent messaging. Train your team to deliver the brand experience.
- Get your employees involved! At Powerhouse Talent, our Brand Foundation Program is as much an exercise in employee engagement and organizational self-discovery, as it is in employer branding. Making this a top down exercise will not deliver the desired outcome. Having employees aware and participating at every stage helps with authenticity and employee advocacy.
- Select ideal channels for your target talent population. You don’t need to be everywhere. Be where it matters and consistently show up. Channel selection is critical.
- Use real images. Sorry stock image lovers, but if you are looking for authenticity and to ignite employee pride, glossy stock images will not do your brand justice. Get your employees involved! Capture the real you!
Remember that employer branding is a journey. This is crawl, walk, and run! Through consistent steps, your team will be EB rock stars soon enough!
Looking for more employer branding help. We have tools, programs, and resources to help you get your EB game on. Give us a shout today.
Have you ever wondered how to build an epic careers site for your company? For those who prefer to watch over read, we have put together our top career site tips in 3 videos. You can read the article here. Wonder no longer and check out this video!
Learn more about Powerhouse Talent’s full-service branding engagements and our POWER UP Brand Accelerator here.
Have you been thinking about investing time and energy in your employer brand but don’t know where to start? Check out our LAND YOUR BRAND- Employer Branding Training & Blueprint here.
Join the Powerhouse Community on social…