Every branding consultancy has their style, view of the world, and preferences. We love brands that give an authentic preview of the employee experience, own who they are, and proudly share it with the world. We lean towards bold brands, mega-personality, and big swings! There are enough corporate clones…yawn.
We came across Sensibill and thought we would share. Scrolling through their site, the reader understands the culture…the vibe. It is a Zen, minimalist site that has big impact. Their job posts read as “human”…imagine that! Every company has a different journey they are on and story to tell. If you are a start-up, you don’t need to overwhelm with content. It just needs to be honest, playful, and revealing of your culture. This is where they hit the mark.
If you research Sensibill on employer review sites, you can see the authenticity in their messaging. This is key! I am sure as Sensibill grows, so too will their content and brand, but this is a great example of the power of thoughtful storytelling.
- Find your distinguishing factor. Why you? What is the common thread when asking that very question to your employees? Now bring that unique characteristic to life by having it be a central theme in attracting talent.
- Make it visual. Help talent see what life is like at your company. Photos, videos, employee profiles, social media feeds, etc.
- Keep it simple. Too much text and your talent has moved on to the next site. Story-telling does not mean you write a novel.
Disclosure: In the spirit of transparency, it should be noted that Powerhouse Talent Inc. was unaffiliated with Sensibill at the time of this article. We are simply admirers of creative and authentic storytelling.
In today’s highly competitive talent market, failing to pay attention to the candidate experience will cost you in more ways than one. For starters, there is your reputation that feeds your employer brand. There is the diminished pool of referrals thus leading to other potentially more expensive sourcing methods. There is also the inability to compete with multiple offers. If a few similar offers come in around the same time, may the best candidate experience win! We at Powerhouse Talent also like to consider what is the right thing to do as a human being. Karma baby…we live by doing good.
We look at the candidate experience from the perspective of the head and the heart. What do they need to know and feel to have an outstanding candidate journey?
- Stay connected! Even if things have started to stall, communicate, communicate, communicate! Explain the process or what may be happening in the organization (a big conference, deliverable or exercise). A quick LinkedIn message, text or call can mean so much. Radio silence is not the answer.
- Move over robots or drones… this is a human experience! Treat others the way you wish to be treated. Real connection builds interest. Are those involved in the talent attraction process building real relationships with talent or is your process like an assembly line? Candidates can feel the difference and will walk away.
- Be different and help them visualize life at your company! If your process is a multi-stage one, let one interview be more casual. Perhaps a walk around the neighbourhood, grabbing a coffee or checking out the new employee lounge. Let the candidate experience life at your company, meet the team and see themselves working there. We all want to belong. Taking a break from a typical interview venue such as a boardroom helps breathe life into the process.
Need a search partner with a heart? Powerhouse Talent delivers CHRL directed searches that mitigate risk both legally and reputationally, backs up their work with industry leading guarantees and ensures the candidate journey is an exceptional one. After all, we are search and brand specialists, thus able to see the bigger talent brand picture. Power Up!